Preparations are underway to mark this year's International Women's Day on 5th March, in Uholo, Ugenya Constituency, Kenya, with the Global Mentoring Walk that will see more than 200 girls partner with mentors who will help them make life's decisions. This is be the first time that an event of this nature takes place in a rural setting in Kenya.
We are pleased that Vital Voices Fellow Dr. Liz Odera, chose the Girl Power Clubs Africa Program in Ugunja Constituency to be the flag-bearers for Kenya. The Guest of Honour will be the Siaya County Women’s MP Hon Dr Christine Ombaka. Other leaders from the county will be present. It will be a precursor event to celebrate the International Women’s Day.
The Day’s Programme
8.00 – 9.00 a.m. High school girls and community women leaders converge at the Sigomre Chief’s Camp.
9.30 a.m. – 10.00 a.m. Flag off of the Ceremony
Women and Girls begin walk, which ends at the Sigomre Secondary School
11.00 a.m. – Speech by the Guest of Honour, Hon Dr Christine Ombaka
- Speech by Ugunja MP Hon Opiyo Wandayi
11.30 a.m. – Girls and mentors hold group discussions
12.30 p.m. – Lunch and guests leave at their own leisure.
Notes to the Editor
- Vital Voices is a leading non-governmental organization (NGO) that identifies, trains and empowers emerging women leaders and social entrepreneurs around the globe, enabling them to create a better world. Vital Voices believes that mentoring is a critical activity in empowering women to succeed as leaders and creating opportunities for women on a local scale.
- Girl Power Clubs Africa is a women leadership program that trains teenage girls to become agents of positive change through sport, culture, art and dance, addressing Action against violence; personal abilities; healthy lifestyles; HIV and AIDS; self-esteem; entrepreneurship; role modeling, and taking leadership roles. Current membership: 1530 girls in 32 schools within Nairobi, Busia and Siaya Counties, with networks in Uganda, Tanzania, and Rwanda. Website: www.girlpowerclubs.org
- The Global Mentoring Walk is an opportunity to highlight the importance of women’s leadership, and to accelerate the impact of women leaders through mentoring. Organized by outstanding local leaders who are key members of the Vital Voices Global Leadership Network, the annual Mentoring Walk brings together established women leaders and emerging women leaders to walk together in their community.
- As they walk, they discuss their professional challenges and successes and establish a mentoring relationship in which the seasoned leader guides, advises and supports her peer. The benefits of women’s mentorship are numerous. It establishes camaraderie, creates gender-friendly environments, promotes a stronger environment for women’s success, and expands horizons for further personal growth as you explore innovative leadership strategies
- For more information, please contact Maria Okong'o, the Girl Power Clubs Program Leader in Siaya County, email@example.com and +254-727-869-882.